Sunday, November 11, 2007

The Sugary and the Hard to Take

Something made me watch Simon Birch (1998) recently, although I think it was just insomnia and it was on TV; I wished I had tried another soporific remedy. Yech: sacchrine and preachy, and worst of all, exploitative of Ian Michael Smith for the purposes of making us feel smug for our normalcy via lecturing us about being grateful. Towit: have we seen him in another movie? No. Anyhow, clearly not sucked into this vortex of the Feel Good genre. However, I do recognize the didactic worth of the movie for perhaps the Tween set if one is looking for an illustration of the importance of love, acceptance and true friendship. Hmmm
On the other hand, The Last King of Scotland (Kevin Macdonald, 2006) is good stuff and definitely not for the Tween set.

No comments: