Sunday, July 15, 2007

Quills and Ink Spills

A quill with a question mark this time to The Testament of Gideon Mack by James Robertson (Penguin 2006). I loved this book but the question mark arises because of a wack website I found associated with the book (http://www.scotgeog.com/index.php) which I will leave you to do with what you will. However, the novel was fab. It concerns a burnt out minister with an already dubious vocation who believes that after an accident he has not quite died but between realms he has met the Devil. This satan delivers: quirky and cool but unerringly creepy. Just how I like my religious literature: makes me laugh and think at the same time, and very imaginative. The town, of course, thinks Gideon is barmy~I'll say no more about it. It doesn't all take place in coo-coo land, so don't dismiss it as some weird sci-fi thing; it really is about the role we play in our own lives and how we are interconnected. Definitely one of those wish-it-wouldn't-end books. Having been exposed to a lot of gnostic and non-canonical gospels this year, I appreciated the idea of divinity in narrative and the human experience of spiritual players.

No comments: